Volunteer With The Bookshelf
THE BOOKSHELF is a fantastic not-for-profit event that works to unite readers with authors and provide fun reading-related craft items. It is our goal to help celebrate Canadian talent and provide a festive atmosphere where readers can meet their next favourite author.
However, events such as The Bookshelf cannot run on good-will alone. We need to rely on volunteers to help us both behind the scenes and on the day of the event.
This is an ALL CALL for EVENT DAY VOLUNTEERS!
We traditionally require extra help in a number of different ways:
- guiding vendors to their table during morning set up
- helping return the space to “neutral” at the end of the day
- watching vendor tables when someone needs to step away for a short period of time
- assisting the Event Day Manager with the Welcome Table
- handing out free prizes and giving away free stuff
- letting people in the Farmers Market (at our booth) know what’s going on inside the Community Centre
- advising author readers of when they need to be ready
- running the beverage station and helping with tea, coffee, and water
This year (2021), due to COVID-19, we have decided to hold a smaller outdoor event in conjunction with the Farmers’ Market. The event will only move forward if mandates via the Ontario Health advisor, York Region Public Health, and the Town of Newmarket permit this type of in-person event. If they do, we will be following their strict guidelines for proceeding regarding number of attendees permitted at one time, prerequisites for personal protective equipment, proximity distancing, and more. Volunteers must individually take full responsibility to assess any risks to their health, considering all factors and information available. Should this event be permitted to take place, we will require help in the following areas:
- making hand sanitizer available to patrons
- encouraging visitors to pick up a brochure
- tracking the number of visitors entering our area of the Riverwalk Commons
- watching booths for vendors who require bio breaks
- escorting vendors to their booth locations (and potentially watching their supplies while they park)
As a thank you for donating your time, anyone who is able to help for 3+ hours will receive a free lunch.
We will need help at various times throughout the day starting from. Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.